Hurricane Florence Temporary Housing Information

The New Hanover County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a Zoning Ordinance text amendment to allow temporary relocation housing for residents in the unincorporated county who are displaced from their homes because of damage from Hurricane Florence.

This means that temporary housing units, like travel trailers, may be placed on homeowners’ property (or property nearby with permission) to live in while repairs are made to homes. The text amendment and temporary relocation housing requirements can be viewed here.

Residents who are eligible for FEMA Direct Housing Assistance and receive a travel trailer from FEMA do not need to seek out permits for placement. This is automatically handled by FEMA. Apply for FEMA assistance at

Residents who wish to use a personal travel trailer or other RV while repairs are made on their home, outside of FEMA assistance, should complete the Temporary Relocation Housing Registration Form and return it to:

In person or by mail:  230 Government Center Dr., Suite 110, Wilmington, NC 28403

Fax:  910-798-7503


For more information about Hurricane Recovery click here.

Planning and Land Use: 230 Government Center Dr, Suite 110 • Wilmington, NC 28403 • Phone 910-798-7165 • Fax 910-798-7053